dedicated to promoting the ongoing enjoyment and preservation of traditional and contemporary folk music, dance, crafts, and lore in the Carolinas Piedmont since 1982
Folk Society Youth Showcase
January 8, 2021
Calling All Youth Performers!
The Folk Society's annual Youth Showcase will be presented as a virtual event on January 8, 2021. Youth signup and performance will be different from previous years with changes reflected in the requirements listed below.
If you wish to preform, you must submit an audition video by October 30, 2020. Ten finalists will be chosen for our live stream show. If you are not chosen, your video will be shared on the CFS Facebook and Instagram pages for all our members to enjoy. Audition videos must be uploaded to YouTube and your link submitted to Mary Shumway.
Requirements are as follows:
- The featured performer must be 21 years old or younger. You may have adult accompaniment.
- Performance length must be 5 minutes or shorter.
- Performances should feature roots music, folk dance, and/or storytelling.
- Audition video must be uploaded to YouTube and link should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 30, 2020
- Performances of all skill levels will be included in the live showcase. Videos will be judged on performer’s preparedness and presentation.
- Chosen performers must be available to record final performances at a time and location that will be determined by October 30, 2020.
Please pass along this information to anyone that might be interested in performing. Charlotte Folk Society members will be given priority for performance slots, but membership is not required to participate.
Contact Mary Shumway with questions about the youth showcase at 704-957-2496.
"When people sing together, community is created." - Peter Yarrow
When you join the Charlotte Folk Society, you become part of a rich and vibrant folk tradition that spans continents and centuries and lives on in the musicians that perform on our stage every month.
Play Nice with Others
Every weekend, jam groups in a variety of genres from bluegrass to old time to Celtic gather together to participate in a vibrant and living tradition of song. Beginners and experienced players alike can find their place in the circle.