Charlotte Folk Society and Tosco Music
2024 Swannanoa Gathering Scholarships
Applications are NOW OPEN for 2024 – Deadline for submission is January 21st!
Charlotte Folk Society (CFS) and Tosco Music offer six scholarships (4 youth and 2 adult) to The Swannanoa Gathering in partnership with Warren Wilson College. The scholarships cover tuition ($625) provided by CFS and Tosco Music, and room and board ($540) provided by Warren Wilson College, for a total scholarship of $1,165 to each recipient. Scholarship winners are responsible for their own transportation to and from Warren Wilson College in Swannanoa, NC. Complete class schedules and other information are online: www.swangathering.com. These scholarships are a one-time award to The Swannanoa Gathering for any of the 2024 workshops.
- Youth Scholarship applicants must be between the ages of 12 and 21 (as of January 21, 2024). Students under the age of 16 must come to the
Swannanoa Gathering with an adult chaperone
- Adult Scholarship applicants must be 21 or older (as of January 21, 2024)
- All applicants must be a current member of Charlotte Folk Society or Tosco Music
- These scholarships are a one-time award to students of acoustic music, either instrumental or vocal, who are performing at the intermediate or advanced level. Previous youth winners are eligible again after the age of 21
- Charlotte Folk Society and Tosco Music staff members, members of the Board of Directors, and any immediate family members of these groups, are not eligible to receive these scholarships
- Audition judges, their students, and their immediate family members are not eligible to receive these scholarships
- Applications are accepted and auditions and interviews are conducted without regard to religion, sex, ethnic background, economic status, or
- Be a member of Charlotte Folk Society or Tosco Music
- Apply using this online form (preferred method). Or if needed, request applicant material via email at email@example.com.
- Write a letter describing your interest in acoustic music, reasons why you would like to receive the scholarship, and ways you hope to benefit from attending The Swannanoa Gathering; supporting materials are accepted but not required (examples: letter of recommendation from a teacher or mentor, brief history of music involvement, etc.)
- Complete the liability release form (signature of a parent or guardian is required for applicants younger than age 18 to indicate permission and release of liability)
- Submit completed application materials no later than January 21, 2024; applicants will receive confirmation by email once a completed application is received. Applications received after January 21, 2024 will not be accepted.
- Attend an audition and interview on Sunday, January 28th, 2024 from 2-5pm at
Myers Park Baptist Church, Charlotte, NC
- Assigned audition times will begin at 2:00 PM. Applicants will be emailed their assigned time
- Location: Myers Park Baptist Church Education Building, 1900 Queens Road, Charlotte, NC
- No exceptions are made to the time and place of auditions and interviews
- Each audition is limited to 5 minutes and may include 1 or 2 songs
- Applicants may have one accompanist join them during their audition
Scholarship winners will be announced at the conclusion of auditions. Scholarship winners may be given an opportunity to perform for Charlotte Folk Society and/or at a Tosco Music Party following their participation in The Swannanoa Gathering.
How To Apply
Apply using this online form (preferred method). Or if needed, request applicant material via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.